It is important for seniors to ask careful questions as they consider which retirement community is best suited to their needs. Some recent newspaper stories have asked if retirement communities in PA are financially stable. Sherwood Oaks willingly answers inquiries about our financial stability as a retirement community-PA facility. We believe that Sherwood Oaks is among the financially strongest retirement communities in the region because:
- The Sherwood Oaks Retirement Community has successfully operated for 28 years. We are proud of the good reputation that we’ve established, especially in the North Hills and Cranberry Township areas.
- The Sherwood Oaks audited 2009 financial statements show positive net assets of $5.5 million. Audited statements for FY 2010 will be released soon, and they are expected to show strong operating income, positive investment returns, and continued investment in capital assets.
- Resident satisfaction at Sherwood Oaks, as measured by an outside consulting firm, shows that residents have rated Sherwood Oaks as exceeding national benchmark scores for many years.
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center UPMC is our parent company and one of the most financially sound organizations in the region.
- Sherwood Oaks is one of the few retirement communities PA has that is fully accredited by the Continuing Care Accreditation Commission, www.carf.org. We have achieved this mark of distinction and maintained it since1993.
Experts have commented that retirement communities in PA requiring an entrance fee present a risk, “perhaps a little risk, but still a risk.” Although this is true with any endeavor, we would point out that not living at Sherwood Oaks presents a risk, too. We believe that the enjoyment of the amenities, physical security, and the knowledge that unlimited continuing care is guaranteed at Sherwood Oaks far outweighs the small risk.
Please contact our marketing office at 1-800-642-2217 if you have questions about Sherwood Oaks. We are happy to provide any information you may need about all aspects of our retirement community and the many entrance options available at Sherwood Oaks.